January 27, 2010



I love worship.  I connect with God the best during song, both when I am singing and when I am listening.  My post a few days ago about "battling the dark side"  had me going back to listen to some of my favorite music.  Frequently when I can't sleep or my mind doesn't want to turn off for the day, I listen to some soft piano music.  Many of the songs are old hymns that I can sing along with in my head and worship while I am falling asleep.  (Did you know you can find inspirational CDs for $1 at Dollar Tree?) Sunday night when I was quietly listening it bothered me that I couldn't remember all the words to "What a Friend We Have in Jesus".  I got up and went downstairs to the piano bench to find an old hymnal we had purchased at a library sale.

I was so glad  I did, because the words were just what I needed to hear, so I thought I would share them:


What a friend we have in Jesus, all our sins and griefs to bear!
What a privilege to carry everything to God in prayer.
O what peace we often forfeit, O what needless pain we bear,
all because we do not carry everything to God in prayer.

Have we trials and temptations? Is there trouble anywhere?
We should never be discouraged; take it to the Lord in prayer.
Can we find a friend so faithful who will all our sorrows share?
Jesus knows our every weakness; take it to the Lord in prayer.

Are we weak and heavy laden, cumbered with a load of care?
Precious Savior still our refuge; take it to the Lord in prayer.
Do thy friends despise forsake thee? Take it to the Lord in prayer.
In his arms he'll take and shield thee; thou wilt find a solace there.


Written in 1855 by Joseph Scriven, I found these words so encouraging and comforting.  It was a great reminder to me that I need to stop trying to carry the burdens alone.

I've decided to dedicate Wednesdays to worship.  There are so many songs that I just love, and the words often ring so true to my life and encourage me.  I hope you will find the same encouragement in the words as I share them.  I'll even try to place the music on the blog so you can worship right along with me!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Cherie. This just what I needed. Love.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you that you stopped by today! What's on your mind?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...