June 16, 2011

Book Discussion - Why Christian Kids Rebel - Week 5

Dr. Tim Kimmel is the founder of  Family Matters  and the author of this great book, Why Christian Kids Rebel. We're at Week 5 and a most important chapter, Cocoon Christianity.

I have to say, as a family in public schools, I wanted to stand from the rooftops and scream, "YES!"  Finally, a Christian leader who sees the virtues of leaving children in public schools and not hiding them from the world! (Ok, now I can step off my soap box and get back to business.)

I may have let the cat out of the bag, but I do agree with Dr. Kimmel's observations in this chapter.  Our family has always believed that a child protected from the world will sooner or later fall hard when introduced to the problems and temptations in the real world.  Dr. Kimmel believes that one's faith must be tested in the real world to become strong and authentic.  I loved the story of the trees in the biosphere that couldn't survive without wind, without adversity, much like our faith.

This chapter was powerful and gives us yet another glimpse of why some Christian kids rebel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you that you stopped by today! What's on your mind?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...