December 7, 2009

Goats for Christmas

A catalog I had never received before showed up in my mailbox a couple of weeks ago.  Upon first glace, I thought it was going to be trinkets made by third world countries to order as gifts.  But as I flipped through the pages, I was completely shocked.  You buy livestock from this catalog!!  A smile burst across my face.  What a fantastic idea!
As with most things in my house, it was put aside with the rest of the mail pile(ugh).  Over the next week, I continued to think about this genius catalog I had received from World Vision.  It was forgotten for a time as I was preparing Thanksgiving dinner for 25!

Thanksgiving came, we ate, we visited, we played, we ate, and truly enjoyed our families being together.  The conversation came around to what we were going to do for gift exchanges this year.  As with everyone, money is tight in many of our families, especially my niece, nephew and sister-in-law who all have new babies. (so fun!)  Then it hit me!!  I ran from the room to find the catalog in my pile of mail (ugh).  I presented the idea to everyone at the table................and we all loved it!  Each family would give at least $15 toward purchasing livestock through WorldVision.  I have never seen people run for their money so fast!  Within 15 minutes, I had over $100!!  After everyone contributed (over and beyond the $15), my small family was able to donate $205 to purchase a sheep, a goat and a share of a donkey for families in the greatest of need.

These strange gifts can change the entire lives of a family.  Sheep provide a constant resource of wool for a family.  The goat provides milk and cheese to those starving.  A share of a donkey ensures a family has access to much needed transportation into their nearest town for medical services or to take items to the market to sell.

I am so proud and honored that my family fell in love with this idea, as I had.  On Christmas day my family will enjoy good food and good company as always.  I have a feeling the presents won't be missed because they have been replaced with the gift of giving to those who need it the most.

"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did 
for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'  Matthew 25:40


Thanks family!  I love you all!!

Could your family give in this way?  For as little as $25 you can give the gift of livestock.  Check it out at World Vision.

Please let me know if you donate in this way.  I would love to hear the stories of how your family was able to give!

1 comment:

  1. That is such a great idea!
    We have given to Samaritan's Purse. They have a similar booklet and you can choose where you want your money to go. We let our son look at the book and pick things he wants to give to and we make a donation. Then we give cards to his grandparents to tell them the gift of "milk, warm blankets, meals, etc" was given in their honor.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you that you stopped by today! What's on your mind?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...