October 5, 2010

Book Review: Raising Godly Children in an Ungodly World


New Leaf Publishing recently asked if I would be interested in reviewing the book “Raising Godly Children in an Ungodly World” by Ken and Steve Ham.  I was delighted to receive the book and begin reading!

The Ham family hails from Australia, and Ken and Steve share much of their family’s heritage of the Christian faith that has been passed along to them through their father.  The book is a wonderful tribute to the Godly example he had set for his family.  Ken is the founder of the organization Answers in Genesis, who is the creator of the Creation Museum in Cincinnati, Ohio.

I truly loved the depth of their conviction that if you don’t believe everything that happened in Genesis as it is stated, the rest of the bible makes no sense.  Standing on the truth of Genesis is the foundation of everything else that happens through the book of Revelation!  Ken states this in the first several pages of the book, “The sufficiency and authority of Scripture, properly interpreted and understood, gives us the basis for godly parenting.  As you take God’s Word and apply its eternal principles to the everyday issues you face with your family, you will begin to create a godly heritage-a legacy that will impact the generations to come in ways you never dreamed possible.”

This book is all about creating a Godly legacy that you can pass along from generation to generation.  The chapters are built through three parts, The Foundation of a Legacy, The Components of a Legacy, and Building a Legacy.

I don’t like giving away too much information on a book review, because I don’t want to spoil it, and I also don’t want you to think you don’t need to read the book because I gave you all the information you needed!
This is a very challenging book, not by it’s difficulty to read, but by the convictions of the Ham family.  They cover and raise many extremely valid concerns among the Christian family and community.  You may be called to really think about how you are raising your children.  But isn’t that the marker of a good book?  One that challenges your thinking and convicts you to move forward and take a step out in faith?  I sure think so!

I can say that after reading a chapter at  a time, I had to stop and really dwell on what was said, and ponder how our family was handling the issue.  Were we doing it right, consistently, wrong, not at all…?

I really recommend this book because it will challenge you to think about the legacy you are leaving not only your children, but generations to follow.

A big THANK YOU to Jennifer White at New Leaf Publishing for this fantastic book!

1 comment:

  1. I'll have to add this to my list of future reads. It sounds like a really good, thought provoking, book... just the kind I like!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you that you stopped by today! What's on your mind?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...