November 10, 2010

Solitude and Quietness

"We Christians must simplify our lives or lose untold treasures on earth and in eternity. Modern civilization is so complex as to make the devotional life all but impossible. The need for solitude and quietness was never greater than it is today." AW Tozer

conviction: the state of being convinced of error or compelled to admit the truth.
I don't like New Year's resolutions. Mostly because I have no self-discipline, and therefore they don't work for me....I fail every time, so why bother. But how could anyone read the quote above and not feel convicted? Who among us spends enough time in solitude and quietness before God? What is quietness anyway when you have a family of five? Tozer is right, it is all but impossible to find.
So I'm thinking.....maybe that is why the treasurers will be great if we simplify. Because it isn't easy and God will reward the extra effort it takes to find solitude with Him.
As I have pondered how I am going to make this lifestyle change, I decided to look up the definition of resolution, just out of curiosity. I am shocked. Look what I found:
resolution: the act of reducing to simpler form; the act of determining; firmness of resolve.
But I have DETERMINED that my life will run much smoother with more time set aside for solitude and quietness before God. And I have every confidence that He will meet me there and our time together will be awesome.

(Sharing from the archives today.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you that you stopped by today! What's on your mind?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...