I must confess I just went out to Youtube to find the controversial video recently produced by Rob Bell introducing his new book about hell. Can I tell you that I am deeply disturbed and irritated with what I just watched?
From what I can tell he is proclaiming that there is no hell. He is insinuating that because God is a loving God, that he would not condemn people to hell. Rob Bell couldn't be more wrong.
No one can take what they like about scripture and leave what they don't like. Scripture is clear, and over and over again Jesus himself talks about hell, and that the only way to God is through him. God is love, but He is also just. We see countless examples in the Old Testament of God exacting His justice on many who were disobedient. Those who did not obey the commands of the Lord were put to death.
"So Joshua subdued the whole region, including the hill country, the Negev, the western foothills and the mountain slopes, together with all their kings. He left no survivors. He totally destroyed all who breathed, just as the LORD, the God of Israel, had commanded." Joshua 10:40
If what Rob Bell suggests were true, there would have been no reason for Jesus to die. If God didn't demand payment for our sins as our way into heaven, then Jesus didn't need to die for us.
"For the wages of sin is death,
but the gift of God is eternal life
in Christ Jesus our Lord."
The word "hell" is mentioned 14 times in the New Testament, and many of those were spoken by Jesus himself. Was Jesus just making that up? Why would he mention a place that wasn't real?
I invite you to study the scriptures for yourself. It is very clear. You don't need to be a scholar to understand it.
- Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." John 14:6
- "You snakes! You brood of vipers! How will you escape being condemned to hell?" Matthew 23:33
- But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear him who, after the killing of the body, has power to throw you into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him. Luke 12:5
- Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.Mark 16:16
- Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God's wrath remains on him." John 3:36
- If anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire. Revelation 20:15
All Scripture is God-breathed and truth. Not just part of it.... ALL OF IT.