August 31, 2011

Surrender? How Do I Do That?

 We need to be totally honest with each other.  Are any of us really good at surrender?  I mean, take a look at this definition:


1) to give into the hands of another
2) to give over into (one's) power or use
     a) to deliver to one something to keep, use, take care of, manage

Truth be told, few of us could surrender our cell phones, let alone our lives to Christ.  But yet to be an obedient Christ follower, that is what we are asked to do - open our hands and give our lives to Jesus.  That doesn't just mean saying yes to accept Him, but allowing Him to be in the driver's seat.

God has an intricate plan for our lives and He holds the road map to our destination, HIS destination for us.  My problem is that I want to see the road map!  I want to see where I am going at every turn, every rest stop, every detour.  But surrender costs us deep, abiding faith in God's plan for us.


If you're like me, you've had several detours in your life already.  It's those "how did this happen", "where did this come from", "how could I have missed this" moments that stop you in your tracks.  Life takes an abrupt turn and you end up at an unknown and unfamiliar destination.  For me that was the death of my Dad when I was 20 years old.  That detour sent me to a dead end--a divorce nine years later.

Would I have chosen these destinations on my life's map?  Nope.  But somehow, in God's grace, He has used these twists and turns to bring me back to Him every time.  If I surrender, staying close to my Shepherd, His voice will lead me.  If I don't, sin and disobedience will chase me.

Surrender is blind faith.

"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." Hebrews 11:1

But God sees all, and knows all, and holds me in the palm of His hand.  Truthfully, there is no place else I'd rather be!


iFellowship

5 comments:

  1. This is the second post on surrender I've read today. Maybe God is trying to tell me something. Many times surrender is also just accepting the fact that the direction he has for us is different than the one we wanted to choose. Surrendering our dreams for His!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello =) stopping by from iFellowship! It's nice to meet you =) Surrender: can be so difficult, yet so easy! And the result is so beautiful, yet we can make it so painful to choose. Great post! Thanks for sharing! Have a great week =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! Surrender is never easy...pride can get in the way quickly. Thank you for the great post! Visiting you from iFellowship.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Stopped by from Thought Provoking Thursday. I completely with God holding the road map to HIS destination for us, but sometimes I forget that I'm not the navigator! Great post. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very good post, Surrender. I think it has a lot to do with trust, trusting Him to guide us each step of the way. You think this should be a simple step knowing that He is our Creator but yet we struggle. I am working on surrender, working on trusting.

    Thanks for sharing.

    Misty

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you that you stopped by today! What's on your mind?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...