September 19, 2011

Creative Monday - A Birch Log Candle Cozy

I love the site of birch trees when we travel north on vacations.  They start appearing in northern Wisconsin and become thicker and thicker the farther north we go.  I love their white trunks, especially at dusk when they really stand out.

On our trip to Canada this year I decided that a piece of birch would be coming home with me.  I just wasn't sure what I was going to do with it.  After much thought, I decided it would make a lovely candle cozy!




Husband helped me saw my large log into two pieces.  This is the short one of the two.

Then I took a spade bit, which fits into a drill, to carve out the holes for the candles.  My spade bit was 1 1/2", which was perfect for a tea light candle.


It took a while to drill through that much wood, but I just took my time. I made three holes so that it would look like a three wick candle. I can't wait to add it to my next mantle decor!



Don't forget to be watching your thrift stores so that you can participate in "UpScale This" the first Monday of the Month.  October's theme is pumpkins.  Check out the details here!

7 comments:

  1. I love the look of birch, too! Great idea making your own candle holder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love this!! Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect idea. I have two pieces of aspen trees that were cut from our front yard so I'll do that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks fabulous! Now to find a birch log...:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. great idea. i pinned it on my pinterest board

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks great!

    Jenny
    www.simcoestreet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you that you stopped by today! What's on your mind?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...